7/31/2008

The Messy Messianic Movement: An Open Letter to Banner K.

Shalom Banner,

I read your blog regularly with interest. I started to write this as a comment concerning your Derek L post but it got too long. My thoughts tend to go on and on in various tangents. : )

I always wondered what was meant when people referred to the Messianic movement as “messy.” More and more, I marvel at the mess we are all in, trying to navigate our way through 2000 years of errant teachings. At first I was appalled at discovering heretical teachings. I was disappointed when those I considered my “heroes of the faith” and role models fell into apostasy or embraced false doctrines of one kind or another. Now, however, I am getting used to the present state of affairs and try to love the brethren, pray for them, and hope we all find our way. We are all in this boat together, trying to avoid making shipwreck of our faith. The Adversary seems to be working overtime attempting to destroy whatever progress is being made in recovering the faith once delivered to the saints (Jude). As someone recently said, “this movement is falling apart as fast as it is growing.”

All we can do is continue to earnestly contend for the faith and hope many will be Bereans, search the Scriptures, and embrace the truth. I appreciate your efforts in this regard. It is a thankless job to point out error. The “prophets” (forth-tellers) are always stoned. But we must beware of bitterness.

While I disagree with Tim H. about Calvinism and other matters and am very disappointed that he closed down his forum, I still appreciate much that he teaches and writes, especially regarding “the unity of the Torah” ....which happens to be the title of his recent article available at torahresource.com (see my sidebar for link to article).

Here is an excerpt:
.......As most of you know, my wife and I have two naturally born sons, and two adopted daughters. It is readily apparent to all who see us that our daughters have a different ethnicity—they are from Liberia, West Africa. Consider this scenario: years ago, when we were abundantly privileged to have our daughters join our family, we are sitting down at the dinner table to establish our “house rules.” I look at my two sons and remind them that they are to be in bed no later than 10:00pm, and I also reinforce the fact that if they fail to obey this rule, they will be disciplined. Then I turn to my daughters, and I say, “You are both welcomed to also observe the 10:00pm rule of being in bed. In fact, it would please me if you would.” That evening, I stop by my son’s bedrooms to make sure they have complied, and sure enough, lights are out and they’re in bed. But when I come to my daughter’s rooms, they are both still active and show no sign of even getting ready for bed. What is my response? Can I approach them by saying “Why didn’t you obey me?” No, I cannot, for the simple reason that an invitation does not bring obligation. By its very nature, an invitation leaves the outcome in the hands of the one invited. And in fact, this very principle is well known: children come to understand the genuine love of a parent, not when the parents suspend all boundaries, but when boundaries are established and lovingly enforced. And this is true in God’s family as well. All of His children have the same “house rules” and thus all of them experience His love when He disciplines them in order to bring them back into conformity to what He has commanded. Those who are not disciplined, who sense no personal obligation to obey His commandments, are those who are outside of His family.

The primary points that I hope to have emphasized in this short essay are these: 1) the Torah is eternal and is a unified whole which cannot be divided, 2) God has given the Torah by way of covenant to Israel, 3) all those from the nations, non-Jews, who attach themselves to the God of Israel by faith in His Messiah, Yeshua, are joined to Israel and therefore become covenant members with equal obligations and privileges, and 4) that such obligation to obey God’s Torah is the very mark of being His children, proven by the fact that He disciplines those within, not those outside, His family.

http://www.torahresource.com/EnglishArticles/UnityOfTorah.pdf

I think one of the sticking points with the debate over “One Law” for Jews and Gentiles is the question of HOW to keep Torah. Ethnic Jews take offense at Gentiles keeping their traditions...and I can somewhat understand their point of view. You and I live near Amish and Mennonite communities. If we were to adopt their dress and lifestyle without fully embracing their religion, they would think we were copycats mocking them or stealing their distinctiveness. Religious and secular Jews take offense by what they perceive as Messianics amalgamating Christianity with Judaism.

I see the Acts 15 Council ruling as setting basic halachic standards for Gentiles (renouncing all forms of paganism...dietary, religious, sexual) and then hearing Moses preached each Shabbat and heeding and embracing Torah. Adding Jewish TRADITIONS to Torah is not required. I have heard that God gave six commandments concerning Sabbath, but the rabbis have embellished these with “fences,” rendering it burdensome and joyless (the 39 prohibitions, etc.).

I have seen a documentary in which Orthodox Jews were praying with prayer books with tears streaming down their faces. They were obviously able to internalize the rote prayers and make them their own heart’s cry. If that can be done with the Siddurs that Messianics are using, fine. If liturgy is just rote, rubric, and ritual, it reminds me too much of my former Catholicism for me to be interested. For all my Missal reading and participation at Mass in my youth, I never knew God. Sometimes I wonder how many Messianics are truly born again. Liturgy could be a way for those separated from the LORD to attempt to draw nigh. Yet, apart from repentance, full surrender, and a born again experience, it won’t happen. A counterfeit spirituality is the result. Yeshua said, “Ye must be born again.” Messianics do not even mention this it seems, along with other neglected parts of the Bible, such as Bible prophecy and the soon return of the King of Kings. Many think we’ve got hundreds of years ahead of us to develop Messianic congregations, apologetics, theologies, etc. and pass them on to our children and grandchildren. How are they not seeing the signs of the times? Why do they refuse to consider the Biblical Chronology research of Dan Gregg and others? There is no doubt in my mind that we are in the End Times. Yeshua told us to make disciples and be ready for His return. THE GOSPEL OF THE KINGDOM must be preached in all the world....let us work to restore THE Gospel in its purity, unencumbered by 2000 years of man’s traditions, both Jewish and Christian, that tarnish its glory and relevance.

1 comment:

Tandi said...

Speaking of Bereans, Rick Spurlock is offering an interesting class at Bereans Online entitled, It's Not What You Think, It's What You Do. I started it today for Shabbat study and found it very edifying. I really like the format.

Excerpt from page 4:

Our problem with the "doing" vs "believing" issue is that we approach the Bible from a Western mindset, established from long traditions of Greek philosophy. The Bible does not come from that perspective; rather it comes from God's perspective to us--and it is all about verbs....Most Hebrew words come from a root verb. Even proper names and nouns have verbs as their root. That tells us that Hebrew is a language of action. It is not a language of concepts, thoughts, and ideas. It is all about doing.....

See Bereans Online link on my sidebar for more information about this August study.