7/04/2008

Random Thoughts

Today is my first anniversary of blogging. I started out with an article about Tandi, my favorite horse of all time. Today I enjoyed riding my golden Haflinger mare, Misty. It is a beautiful day...and I very much enjoyed the trail ride in my own back yard. We observed squirrels, chipmunks, and a baby northern oriole that we almost stepped on as it scurried across the trail under it’s mother’s watchful eye. I remarked to the mother bird that I know the feeling....watching over loved ones and hoping they will be safe while learning to fly. Crows were eating the blueberries that are ripe and delicious in my woods. These crows are huge. I actually like crows. They are very intelligent birds. Some people make pets out of them. Crows remind me of Uncle Leo’s cottage on Cape Cod where I enjoyed happy childhood summers.

I am still at peace. It is awesome to feel this relaxed. Very unusual for me. This is the peace that passes all understanding. I am “going at Godspeed” and I like the pace. It is elusive because I tend to fret and get anxious about things. I do not know exactly why I am experiencing an enduring peace this time, but I am grateful to the LORD and do not want to quench the Spirit and lose this amazing feeling. So I will not be attending the fireworks at Culver tonight. “When in doubt, throw it out” is my philosophy. I do not know if it is okay to watch fireworks on Sabbath. Here is the FFOZ position (Brian R):

First, as seen by the precedence set by the Torah, the Shabbat takes priority over all mundane activities. Therefore we should be in our homes or congregations welcoming in the Sabbath instead of welcoming in the 4th. Also, Shabbat festivities should not be minimized or hurried so as to view a fireworks display from one's front lawn or the like (see Isaiah 58:13-14). However, part of Shabbat is spending time with one's family. Therefore, if one has completely welcomed in the Shabbat in a manner befitting the holy day and one is able to observe fireworks from a distance then he is permitted to watch the spectacle. Yet, in light of Exodus 35:3, "You shall kindle no fire in all your dwelling places on the Sabbath day," one is forbidden to participate by lighting, setting the fireworks up, or the like. Watching the colorful array is, however, perfectly permissible.


As meticulously observant as these people are, I am surprised that they would take this position. To derive benefit from a fireworks display, to enjoy what is sinful to set off yourself, seems hypocritical. It is not clear exactly what the Torah means by “do not kindle a fire on the Sabbath day.” Some say it means an industrial fire as needed for work, some say it means a ceremonial fire like the pagans with their bonfires, etc., some say it extends to prohibitions against driving on Sabbath because of the spark plugs in the internal combustion engine.

I find the candle lighting ceremony to welcome “the sabbath queen” 18 minutes before sundown a compromise with paganism and "looking for a loophole" regarding the “no ceremonial fires” prohibition. I choose rather to welcome Sabbath with a hand-picked flower on the table....just a simple daisy usually....a memento of God’s glorious Creation that we are remembering when we honor the Sabbath day....for in six days God created the heavens and the earth.

Another blog commentary at FFOZ was disturbing. This one was written by Boaz. He talked disparagingly about public brawls over doctrine and silly disputes. He says Messiah is dishonored through the “culture of confrontations.”

I seem to remember reading of Yeshua engaging in confrontations with the Pharisees on more than one occasion. Didn’t the apostles urge us to earnestly contend for the faith, be vigilant about discerning error and false doctrine, etc? I have learned my lesson about commenting on the FFOZ blogs, however. Comments are screened and edited....

Meanwhile, at Dan’s forum, Johanna posted an encouraging word. Yes, many of us just need to fellowship with one another once in a while. Chit-chat has its place and benefits. I hope others will join the conversation at Torahtimes. This is a forum that encourages participation, disagreements, and free speech. Iron sharpens iron. Even discussing heresy can result in clarification of the apologetics necessary to refute it. A good example of that is evident at the Jerusalem Council forum, where some recent gnostic cult doctrine postings were refuted.

Tomorrow I plan to go to Culver early in the morning and watch Austin’s camp activities before signing him out for a few hours in the late afternoon. I will take my Bible, notebook, and Dan’s translation project and study Torah by the babbling brook or by the lakeshore. I asked Pat if he would go with me. He was reluctant. So I suggested he bring his boat and go fishing out on Lake Maxinkuckee. I would go for a boat ride and then he could drop me off at the town beach and I could walk the trail back over to the Academies. I successfully enticed him saying, “If you wouldn’t mind hanging out in your boat all day...” He responded with, “There’s worse things....” I laughed.

So after I watch Austin practice his drum and bugle marching band (he plays a baritone/euphonium) play golf, swim, etc., Pat will take him fishing on the boat while I enjoy the town park beach and swings. I love swings. I have one in my own woods that I enjoy. I will also enjoy visiting the Academy stables and watching the horses. I am so in love with this place, especially in Summer. I wonder why I was not so enamored with it when I lived in Culver 30 years ago. Maybe because we only had a winter rental (a “mansion” right on the Lake) and I never got to experience summers in Culver. If I had it to do over, I would have bought a house in Culver instead of Judson, got a job at the Academies, sent my kids to school here, and enjoyed the horses, sailboats, etc. My dad would have loved visiting us in Culver, as he was a sailboat enthusiast. The LORD led us to Culver in 1977-78, and I did not realize or appreciate it at the time. With age comes wisdom; we make so many mistakes in our egocentric youth. At the time, I thought the Academy kids were nerdy and the small town definitely uncool. Now I appreciate Culver’s character building philosophy.....and the town has grown and developed to become VERY cool!

I took a walk at the Academies recently and plucked a daisy that was growing out of the seawall. It trembled in my hand. It had life within it. I thought of a poem I learned in Junior High...Flower in the Crannied Wall...by Alfred, Lord Tennyson.

FLOWER in the crannied wall,
I pluck you out of the crannies;
Hold you here, root and all, in my hand,
Little flower—but if I could understand
What you are, root and all, and all in all,
I should know what God and man is.

This is a poem worth pondering!

After I picked the daisy, I noticed a park bench nearby. There was an engraving on it:

To everything there is a season....turn....turn....turn

I am pondering this also. I think of a favorite song by Tom Rush....The Circle Game.

Yesterday, a child came out to wonder
Caught a dragonfly inside a jar
Fearful when the sky was full of thunder
And tearful at the falling of a star.....

And the seasons they go round and round
Painted ponies go up and down
We're captive on the carousel of time
We can't return, we can only look behind
From where we came
And go round and round and round
In the circle game.

[lyrics by Joni Mitchell]

If I end up with a sunset career at Culver, it will be "full circle." Much to consider on Sabbath there.

This blog post has drifted all over the place. This is how I write because this is how I think. I want to be a writer someday when I grow up....but for now I will try to therapeutically express whatever is on my mind at my personal blog until something worth publishing starts flowing out of me hopefully (by God’s grace). But I think that will only happen when my friend and wordsmith collaborator returns to Biblical faith to strengthen me and get the creative juices flowing. Tzuri and Tandi need to be in tandem, inspiring one another....writing free-verse Biblical apologetics with impact!

I can only dream.

1 comment:

Tandi said...

Someone did post an "anti-fireworks" position at FFOZ after all. A dissenter was allowed...so I will give Brian R credit for that! Here is the post at "Shabbat and Fireworks"......

Food for thought: How useful is the "fire" "kindled" in a fireworks display? Can you cook with it? Can you warm yourself by it (assuming wildfires aren't kindled inadvertently)? Are you lighting your way with it? (At $10,000 to $100,000 per half-hour for a municipal display, some other form of illumination may be more responsible.) Do we take advantage of the nonessential work of our "neighbors" as long as they do that servile work outside our "gates"? Isn't that how the hypocrisy of the "Shabbas goy" originated?

I don't go out of my way to view fireworks, because such displays have little to do with remembering the sacrifice and wisdom behind the original Fourth of July. Cutting short an appointment with God to view fireworks is much worse than cutting short an anniversary meal with your wife for a Memorial Day parade or such. Rather, I like the "American seder" that some have developed to help teach children about the founding of the U.S.

Posted by: Jeff Quackenbush | July 6, 2008 3:43 AM