6/26/2008

Many Sorrows....Welcome to My World of Woe

The following was written over the course of the past week or so....

Forum People Have Feelings (written mid-June)

Bill B. wrote a piece at FFOZ blog entitled “Forum People Have Faces” where he expressed his delight in meeting those whom he had only interacted with on the forum [at the recent Shavuot conference in Hudson, WI].

Nice sentiments expressed....yet it prompted this reply, a reply I would not be able to express as a comment at the FFOZ blog...

Forum people have feelings too. Just because you don’t see someone in person does not make that person any less real. When you dismiss their opinions, views, comments, etc., you are disrespecting them, just as if you were to see them face to face and tell them to “shut up.”

Bill once wrote me and said, “Once we dehumanize a person and their opinions or viewpoints then it is much easier to dismiss them all together.”

I agree....and the opposite is also true:

Dismissing someone altogether (e.g., from a forum) is to dehumanize a person and his opinions and viewpoints.

I wrote this email to Bill in early May:

Though I have forgiven you, I remain silenced by your words. It has shut off communication between us and between me and others at TR. I am very reluctant to post for fear I may inadvertantly say something “offensive” and incur your wrath. I notice you did the same thing to Rick Spurlock at FFOZ, rebuking his post and defending “the plastic pie pastor.”

Now Michael fears offending Tim and is reluctant to share his view. Interesting. Free speech does not seem to exist on either forum for fear that someone may take offense. How few who have been around awhile post at all anymore! A sad state of affairs indeed.


--------

Re: TR and the decision made by Tim to close down the Forum (with consensus from his moderators Bill, John, and Nate)....

To censure and dismiss an entire forum full of people who were benefiting from the interaction, fellowshipping with one another in lieu of other options, all alone in their little corner of the world without like-minded fellowship, is to say, “Get out of here. I’m closing the door and booting you out of my congregation. This congregation is by invitation only. I’m a Calvinist, I am sovereign, and I will treat you in the same manner as the ogre god I serve. This forum is not for “whosoever will”.... it is “by invitation only”....people I don’t like need not apply. I will decide who gets to play in my sandbox. I do not like people whose views differ from mine. I am right....and everyone else is wrong.”

Fractured and Fragile

Do forum owners/moderators realize that “forum people” might be fractured and fragile....alone in their belief system and observances, getting little to no support from family and friends?

In catering to new people, “baby Christians,” those with newbie enthusiasm and dollars to spend at your website, are you abusing the hurting sheep (Ezek. 34)? The Apostle Peter was told to feed the lambs and the sheep if he truly loved Yeshua (John 21).

In all of my church experiences, as I grew in my zealousness for the truth of God’s Word, I kept hearing that we had to be kind and considerate to “the baby Christians” who were not ready for “strong meat.” Strong meat? Like forsaking pagan holidays that God hates? It is the basics in Acts 15 that got us booted or shunned in the congregations. Tickling the ears with pop psychology syncretized with a dash of Biblical flavoring was all many pastors were willing to provide (citing concerns for their retirement package, etc.). In the name of “love and unity” we were not to rock the boat and cause “strife and division.”

In the Messianic world, it is “lashon hara” that is cited. This covers any speech that the moderators or forum owners do not feel comfortable with....including Holy Spirit conviction brought on by the truth of God’s Word or discussion of a sensitive subject in search of greater understanding.

Learning to Endure Pain (written 6/22)

Why should I be happy? There is little to be happy about. Israel is in its season of dread. (see sidebar article). My dog, Forest, died on Friday. I sat with him for much of 7 hours while his worried look and labored breathing indicated the end was near. Another dog, Kenya, is not feeling well either. May be food poisoning. Tainted pet and people food is part of life in America today with foreign suppliers and terrorism. Our country is being brought down by a thousand paper cuts.

Peter is getting married today. Now he will have two wives. Divorce and remarriage amounts to serial polygamy in my view. There is hardly an intact family in America today. Another grief of mind I endure.

Comfort from the Book of Job and Bible Pathway (written 6/26)

“Job expressed his pitiful loneliness....there seemed to be no end to the anguish. One of our greatest trials is to pray and continue praying without any apparent sign that God has heard....But the effectiveness of our prayers cannot be judged by immediate results. There are many reasons for delay...”

How unsearchable are His judgements and His ways past finding out! For who hath known the mind of the LORD? Or who hath been His counsellor? (Romans 11:34)

6/20....Forest died (13 year old pet dog)

6/22....Peter married Sara

6/24....Kenya died (13 year old pet dog)

6/25....Depressed and dysfunctional....still reeling from the TR/FFOZ snub and the growing realization that I have not had like-minded fellowship at either venue all along. Very disillusioned with both organizations and the “Torah movement” in general. Very sad about Peter’s plight....his kids, family, Tonya ....also Dan and family, me and Pat...grieving and trying to understand how things turned out this way. My sister has not responded to my "olive branch" note card of many weeks ago. Remembering my 18 year old beloved cat, Little Black, who died of kidney failure/multiple organ failure due to tainted pet food on April 19, 2007 (the same week of Peter's family breakup; now, a year later, he remarries coincidal with more pet deaths!) What is going on with poisoned pet food and poisoned relationships??

“When our world turns upside down and everything and everyone seems to be against us, God has promised that He would never leave us. We must learn to trust God. When we recognize the LORD’s ways, all fears and frustrations vanish. It is not required that we understand everything, but only to be faithful and obedient to God’s Word.”

Though He slay me, yet will I trust in Him... (Job 13:15)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tandi,

I was moved by reading your post. Its obvious that youre quite hurt, hence I would like to pass some words of encouragement: G'd loves you and takes care of you, He's aware of your frustrations and is most probably working out things in a good way for you. Dont be bothered too much by what other people do or say unto you. Your precious in His sight and His ear is always open to your ponderings. I wish you a good shabbat sister,

Daniel K

Tandi said...

You have greatly encouraged me and relieved my sorrow, Daniel K. Thank you! I would never have guessed anyone like you was even reading my blog...least of all someone from the Netherlands with whom I have hardly ever communicated! I take your words as from the LORD and they have blessed me. May you be blessed in return.

My hurt feelings regarding the forums needed the catharsis of expression, not only for my sake but to represent others hurt by the closure and snubs. This is also for Raina...who had just started posting at TR and was encouraging others with her testimony (and being encouraged by responses to her posts) and for many others like her, whose voices were silenced so callously. I can only continue to hope for a change of heart. Meanwhile, may any “forum friends” reading this join me for fellowship at Torahtimes forum. It would be such an encouragement. Sign up and post whatever is on your mind. Free speech welcome!

Shabbat Shalom, Daniel. You have given me hope that there is a faithful Remnant out there after all!

Anonymous said...

Hi Tandi,

Im glad you are encouraged and some sorrow is relieved. I do would like to point out that Im not familiar with the situation at the TR forum nor your discussion with Bill. And logically my comment cant be taken as support for any position. My only aim was to bring some relief and show that generally we should focus on how G'd sees us and deals with us instead of other people, as other people will naturally fail us one way or another. Having said that, I can say that my experience with Bill has always been very positive and this holds for FFOZ as well. Again not being familiar with your situation, I still would like to make one point; the moment you would step into a normative Christian forum and express your view on the Torah, you would immediately get people 'against' you, not purposefully but just a natural reaction as it is a deviation from the norm at that particular forum (where people sign up thinking to meet and interact with people that share the ideas of the organisation (at least to a great extent)). As you are familiar with FFOZ's ideas it shouldnt come as a surprise to get some 'opposition' the moment you express views that are very different e.g. the Master riding a donkey on the Shabbat:) However theres no need to take this personally, this is a natural reaction. I do hope you'll stay in tune on the forum and dont let past events play a big role in your participation, as I think its nice to have you there:)

Hope you stay encouraged and wish you a good week sister,

In the Master's love,

Daniel K

Anonymous said...

Tandi -
I share some of your sentiments regarding both the necessity of an online community, and the need to have wise moderating.

I was unaware that TR was shut down. I have not visited there for months, so I am unaware of the incidents in question.

I know that some of the discussions there in the past have been heated, and sometimes the moderating was less than even-handed, but I was not offended, and did not take the moderator's opposing opinions personally.

Certainly not by anything Bill B. ever said, as I have the utmost respect for him (and Tim H, and the folks at FFOZ). I find Bill B.'s moderating to be among the most even-handed.

Having said that, I have been in the online forum world for a very long time (long before the age of "Windows"). It is difficult to moderate forums. In my opinion, the best moderation takes place in the form of direct edit, and/or private message to offenders. It is my opinion that moderators should always be anonymous, and the participants should never be permitted to be anonymous (opinions should always have "faces" with them, and impartiality on the part of moderators can only be achieved by being "faceless" - and without opinion). Every online forum I have established has been setup that way (I have setup a number of them, and one for a national labor union).

Knowing our common isolation, and our need for any form of fellowship and spiritual stimulation, please contact me directly.

Shalom,

Rick Spurlock

Tandi said...

Thank you Daniel and Rick for your comments. I appreciate them very much. I have responded to both of you by private message.

Keep in touch!

Shalom,

Maureen