8/20/2008

From the Moss Patch.....

The Moss Patch Newsletter was a publication my husband and I put out in the 1990’s in which we attempted to “earnestly contend for the faith once delivered to the saints.” This was before we had ever heard the term, “Messianic Judaism,” although I enjoyed the music of Marty Goetz and Paul Wilbur (Israel’s Hope) in those days. I thought they were the only “Messianic Jews” on the planet. With the advent of the Internet, the world became a smaller place and I became aware of the Messianic movement....but missed the entire heyday and the best music, like early Kol Simcha, Cohen and Rose, Helen Shapiro....I had to find this music in the bargain bins in cassette version only.

Anyway...although our Newsletter used Christian terminology, we were somewhat Hebraic in thought. We actually believed the commandments of God were for today, that they were not done away with....and this led to our being ostracized in the churches. We stopped attending church altogether in 1991 and became lone rangers.

One advantage of this, however, was an increasingly intimate relationship with the LORD. He became virtually my only real Friend., a Friend that stuck closer than a brother. I met Him each day in His Word as I read through the Bible chapter by chapter each year. Sometimes He would inspire thoughts that led to Scripture-based articles for the Newsletter. The little home-made Newsletter had a circulation of about 100 and ended up in the hands of strangers far and wide. Some of them wrote to us with appreciation. It was a satisfying endeavor. MOSS PATCH was an acronym for MO and PAT in Service to the Saints with CHrist at the helm. It also referred to the moss patch clearing in the woods that I used to frequent as a prayer closet to commune with the LORD.

I have been wanting to post some of the articles from those days....maybe update them, so I am in “Moss Patch mode” as I bring the past up to date with this present blog. The first article I want to post is actually the last one we wrote....in 1998...wow, that is a full ten years ago! Its message is especially relevant for today.

To be continued.....

No comments: